Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Global conferencing - the new shift work

OK, the sun is up, just about, but Starbucks on Westlake & 9th won't be open for another hour and I've already finished my first global conference call of the day.

Or is that the second? It was only four hours ago that I finished yesterday's last call, with people talking in what still is the future. Whatever. I'm craving a mocahlattecino and some biscotti to get me going.

Hey, and both calls - first with London, UK and Budapest, HU, then with Chennai, India and Atlanta, GA - revolved around Mobility Development. The global village it may be, but it's not the walking distance that's got smaller, it's the talking distance. Presuming, of course, that you can shout loud enough over the static, feedback, awkward pauses and multi-layered developer speak. I hardly feel mobile, just a slothful wreck slumped in a swivel chair.

Once upon a time you needed Union representation to do this kind of shift work. Now we're all being sucked in to activating our wireless devices every time you get pinged, poked, or peddled with spam.

Maybe I should just plug in my tablet for a quick charge and go listen to the dawn chorus in Denny Park.

1 comment:

  1. Funny isn't it, how our addiction to caffeine has gone hand in hand with a new lifestyle in which we are slaves to the clock. I do not believe this to be a coincidence

    ReplyDelete